Thursday, January 5, 2012

Google should move some city centers

Google’s advances in online mapping are virtually unmatched, from being the first to provide easily accessible color aerial photography, to the amazing utility of StreetView. As Google continues to fine-tune its maps, here’s an idea that planner geeks would love: Google should make sure that their city center locations - the pushpin symbol that shows up when you type in a location like “New York, NY” - are truly at the hearts of those cities.



This raises the question, where is the true center of your city? Is it where the address numbers are zeros in all directions? Is it City Hall? Is it some public plaza? Is it the “100% intersection” (a planner term for the intersection with the most activity)? The geographic center? Population center? The answer is probably a case-by-case, which is why Google hasn’t gotten around to addressing this somewhat low-level matter.

When I type in my city, Portland, Oregon, Google Maps directs me to a two-story building on NW 6th Avenue attached to the Roseland Theatre, a rock concert venue and popular spot for homeless folks. I wonder how Google came up with this. I think most Portlanders would agree that the true cultural center of our city is Pioneer Courthouse Square, abuzz with activity at nearly all times, especially during the Christmas tree lighting and various other festivals throughout the year. It’s known as “Portland’s living room.” Another interpretation of Portland’s center is the one used by ODOT on its mileage signs throughout the state - the intersection (actually an overpass) of West Burnside Street and Naito Parkway. Mailing addresses zero out here, and the Saturday Market is held here. But I think Pioneer Courthouse Square is the clear winner. 

If you type “New York, NY”, you are brought to the Sun Building, a little-known 19th century building on Broadway, two blocks north of City Hall. This is another odd one. But a better central location is more difficult to pin down in the Big Apple, thanks to its two central business districts, Downtown and Midtown. I would suggest Times Square, arguably the most common and iconic image of New York City.

Google is spot on with Philadelphia and Indianapolis, where few would argue that the center is anywhere else but City Hall and Monument Circle, respectively. Same with Charlotte, at the 100% intersection of Trade and Tryon. But Boston, not so much. They placed it in a cemetery in front of King’s Chapel. To be fair, it is a very centrally-located cemetery, but hardly a place where Bruins fans would celebrate a Stanley Cup victory.

Type your city or town into Google Maps. Do you think the center is in the right place? If not, where should it be?

6 comments:

  1. Bethlehem: Linden St and E Goepp St. which I would say is way East of the center of the city. If you google Bethlehem, PA 18018, the spot is a bit more realistic, 7th Ave and W North St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Bethlehem is all sorts of weird, being north and south of the Lehigh River, and in two different counties. I think I would do either City Hall Plaza (even though no one really hangs out there other than when they drop the Peep - do they still do that?), or the corner of Main & Broad. Though I may be biased on the latter because BrewWorks was such a critical happy element of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vancouver, WA: Often Google checks first to make sure I didn't mean Vancouver BC. After straightening that whole thing out, it points me to the only part of Vancouver nonresidents seem to know about. I-5. Specifically I-5 and Fourth Pain. And while that is my exit, I wouldn't say it's a city center of any sort. Downtown Vancouver is actually way cool. You should field trip up here and blog about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I meant Fourth Plain. But, Fourth Pain works too.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I will make a jaunt to The Couv. I haven't seen downtown The Couv for several years. I was impressed with Esther Short Park and the surrounding mixed use buildings.

      Delete
  4. Nice Blog, Gsuite a set of intelligent apps including Email, Docs, Drive, Calendar & More with guaranteed 99.9% Uptime and 10+ Yrs experience plus operating with G Suite Premier Partner for providing 24/7 Customer Support. g suite unlimited pricing in india

    ReplyDelete